All legal services are deemed Essential and as such we have remained Open for Business to handle all of your legal needs.

Photo of Professionals at | Attorneys And Counselors At Law

My Boss Hasn’t Paid Me. What can I do?

On Behalf of | Aug 11, 2015 | Firm News, Unpaid, Unpaid Wages, Worker |

First off, don’t worry.  Fortunately, you live in Colorado and the Colorado Wage Act is a powerful tool to use against employers who wrongfully withhold wages. If your last paycheck is being wrongfully withheld, you could be entitled to all of your wages plus another 125% of your wages as a bonus.  The best part is you won’t need to pay your attorney a retainer as the Colorado Wage Act has an attorney fee provision. That menas that you could get a lawyer without paying a dime up front.    

The Colorado Wage Act is very simple: If your employer doesn’t pay you, then you have a claim. So be sure to contact an attorney immediately so you can get your hard earned money. 

Can an employer withhold my last paycheck after I’m terminated?  

No! When an employee is fired or laid-off, wages are due immediately at the time of discharge.  If the employer’s accounting unit is closed, then the wages are due to the separated employee no later than six hours after the start of such employer’s accounting unit’s next regular workday. So if an employer is refusing to pay out your last check or is telling you it is going to take a week or a month, you need to be sure to demand payment and hire an attorney because you have a cause of action under the Colorado Wage Act. 

Is your employer refusing to give you a paystub? 

Are your wages coming up short? Are you concerned you are not getting paid for all your hours? Well, under Colorado law every employer shall at least monthly, or at the time of each payment of wages or compensation, furnish to each employee an itemized pay statement in writing showing the following: (a) gross wages earned; (b) all withholdings and deductions; (c) net wages earned; (d) the inclusive dates of the pay period; (e) the name of the employee or the employee’s social security number; and (f) the name and address of the employer. If your employer is coming up short or refusing to provide you with a pay stub then you might have a cause of action against them under the Colorado Wage Act.

Be sure to consult an attorney so you can get your hard earned money from your employer. 

Again, consultations on wage claims are free, and no money is paid up front to retain an attorney.