All legal services are deemed Essential and as such we have remained Open for Business to handle all of your legal needs.

Photo of Professionals at | Attorneys And Counselors At Law

Accommodations under 504

by | Dec 2, 2019 | 504, Discrimination, Education, Regulations, School |

Accommodations under Section 504

If you are a student with a disability, you may be entitled to reasonable accommodations at your college or university.  Section 504 requires your college and university to work with you in good faith to find a reasonable accommodation that accommodates your disability, but importantly, Section 504 requires you to initiate the process of seeking accommodations.  Therefore, it is critical that you are familiar with the process.

Most colleges and universities have an office of disability services that can help you get reasonable accommodations.  You will typically need to provide some documentation of your disability and meet with a university representative from the disability services office in order to receive an accommodation.  Please be sure to read your student handbook for the specific process at your university.  Acc

While colleges and universities are required to provide students with disabilities, reasonable accommodations, the accommodations that you seek must be reasonable.  Your university or college isn’t required to provide an accommodation that will impose an undue financial burden on the university.  Additionally, your university or college is not required to fundamentally alter the nature of its program.  You will still be required to meet the academic standards of your university, and the law does not require your university to lower them for you, so long as it has provided you with reasonable accommodations.

If you have more questions about this, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].